7.11.2009

Bachelorette Bash



Pattern: "Happy Easter" by Marij Stolp (chart available for free on Ravelry)
Yarn: Lion Brand Cupcake (lemon drop, blueberry, and pistachio)
Needles: US 6 Circular (worked flat)
Mods: This was a stash-busting project, so after completing the chart, I worked in two row st st stripes until I ran out of one of the colors. This became the flap of the bag. I then picked up stitches along the bottom of the chart in a contrasting color, and worked in st st until, when folded, it reached the point where the stripes begin. After that, I worked a few garter rows to prevent curling, bound off, and sewed up the sides with a simple whipstitch. Neither the flap nor the inner panel would lay flat, so my friend Danielle helped me sew velcro on so it would close nicely. The bag was used to store a dazzling array of flavored condoms at my dear friend Temple's bachelorette party last night.

Plus: Following a color intarsia chart is a lot easier than I imagined.
It's also addictive. Once I got started, I had to finish the whole thing before I did anything else, neglecting chores, spouses, social events, and bodily functions. Also, this got some great laughs at the shower. And let's face it; it's all about the praise.
Delta: Well, no beginner attempt should be pitch perfect. Hence, the top bunny has a platypus tail and a rat face. No idea. Also, I forgot how much I hate this yarn. It's squeaky in the hands, turns to whisps of cotton candy after trimming, and it looks sloppy and cheap knitted up. The great colors look so adorable in the skein, though! Tricksy Lion!


Pattern: "Phallic Chapstick Cozy" by Crystal Shadrick, available free here
Yarn: Hobby Lobby I Love This Cotton! (tan)
Needles: US 4 dps (worked in the round)

Plus: I giggled the entire time I made this, which only took about 2 hours. Totally worth it, even if it's never, never actually used. This was obviously another gag gift for Temple, who promptly applied the chapstick while cupping the balls like a pro. Way to go, Tempey!
Delta: The pattern is very laid back, which is cool, but I could have used some guidance on how to best attach and position the balls. (Hehe. She said, 'position the balls.')

No comments:

Post a Comment