12.06.2009

Color-coordinated Progress

A sleeve.


A mitt.


A square.

Too puckery. Harumph. Will try blocking out the tension issues. I keep trying to assure myself that I will only get better at color work by doing more color work.

So, I'm a Buddhist now. I've read the first 8 chapters of Pema Chodron's When Things Fall Apart, and I'm pretty confident that I'm an expert.

In all seriousness, I'm amused by how peacefully this fits with my current world view, or in some cases, how it scratches my most insistent itches. I had always enjoyed the way that existentialism picks you up and dusts you off on the other side of the nihilistic worm-hole. However, after wandering the world with pragmatic, existentialist humanism as your only companion, Buddhism seems like a sort of graduation of the soul, a moving on from the fits and starts of fleeting passions and the burning desire to be better (for what you know, deep down, are arbitrary reasons). The groundlessness and angst are acknowledged as friends rather than foes, the dread of impermance treated with respect and awe. No lies. No self-deception. No anti-intellectual manipulation of the emotions. Just naked truth. I could get used to this.

1 comment:

  1. I found your blog following your comment on Knit and Tonic. Your husband's blab was hilarious and at the same time horrendous. Do hope you remain undetected :)

    ReplyDelete