1.17.2010

My other husband - Xmas gift 7 (boy)

Pattern: "Seamless Saddle Shoulder Pullover," by the inimitable Elizabeth Zimmerman, available in Knitting Without Tears
Yarn: Dream in Color Classy (Tea Party and Happy Forest)
Needles: US7
Size: I calculated precisely for 41 inch chest, modeled here with 1.5 inch positive ease; I also measured his favorite sweater, a good move since it turns out he has the arms of a freaking ape, and I was going to need to add 2 more full inches to each sleeve length
Mods: By request, I made 2" ribbed edgings (1" around the neck), rather than turned hems



Plus:
So easy, so joyful, so satisfying! You can't help but feel clever when working a Zimmerman design. The long stretches of circular stockinette were excellent for commuting or really good TV, while the shoulders were downright fascinating to watch take shape. I will definitely use Classy again, a multi-plied superwash yarn that improves dramatically after a bath. Garrett was so impressed by the depth of the colors and the softness of the wool, it was hard not to purchase more that very night!


Delta:
If I could do it again, I would add at least 1.5 more inches in body length and taper a bit down to the waist. I had cast on and knit a great deal of the torso before I measured his favorite sweater, and it was then that I realized that I should have started narrower. Also, I'm not sure that 1/4 of chest width on each shoulder saddle was enough, since it left the neck hole oddly large and horizontally rectangular. Maybe 1/3? I offered to fix it right away, but he turned me down and said that he was presently too eager to start wearing it around. Spoken like a man who wants more handknits, huh???



Too cute, man.



KER-SPLAT!!! I'm finally getting back to Becca's afghan. I had been buzzing along at a decent one-square-a-week pace for a while and then fell behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment