3.06.2010

Lust for Color

Whether it's the playfully modern, graphic artistry in patterns like paper dolls and little birds....
Or it's the whispers of ancient feminist wisdom in traditions like bohus and selbu and fair isle...
Or a feverish desire to have a fancy pair of fingering weight stranded mittens for every day of the winter....

I WANT FIERCE COLORWORK SKILLS, AND I WANT THEM RIGHT NOW!

Sigh. Alas, I'm just not there yet with control over my left hand. Everything ends up wonky and puckery. I'm decided that I'll devote some considerable time over the summer to practicing continental method and stranded knitting swatches. Until then, anything I attempt in the way of colorwork falls pathetically short of expectations.


Until now. Enter "mosaic knitting" method. I would never have ventured into this strange new land had it not been for this latest afghan square. But now that I'm here, I'm simply wild about it. It's so flippin' easy and fun!

I've since been gathering together mosaic colorwork patterns I can tackle next. My top picks:
Mosaic Yoke Jacket
Blooming Cotton Scarf
Mimico

Oh dear, I soooo excited, I could just pee a little.

I've also been indulging in a bit of low-stress toy-making/scrap-busting.

Pattern: "Knitted Bunny" by Jackie Erickson-Schweitzer, available free here
Yarn: Classic Elite Yarns Lush



Pattern: "Grumpasaurus" by Kat Lewinski, available free here
Yarns: Classic Elite Yarns Lush; Shibui Knits Worsted; Berroco Comfort



They're each a wee bit flawed in its own small way, but the beautiful thing is, I don't care.

No comments:

Post a Comment